Friday, June 3, 2016

Reclaiming the youth: the campus style

By: Shailesh Kumar

His name defines his work. 6 feet tall Kartar Singh, at his age of 48 years, still keeps the stature of a soldier, as a reminiscence of his past days in the Indian army. But,these days, he is re-living his youth again, as he is working as a watchman for the Central University of Himachal Pradesh.

“When I am in the University, among the young students, it seems that I am just another student in the university,” says Kartar Singh. He has been working here almost for the last four years. Like many of his earlier colleagues from the army, he has also picked up a job in the security services sector after retirement.

Now, He works in two shifts. When I have asked how do you manage working the night shift? He tells that it is not too difficult since he rests during the day. “I usually ask my employer to provide me with a day off, before taking up the night shift”, he said. 

Kartar Singh is a way of being milder, contrary to the stereotype of tough, harsh ex-army hand. But, he is still fighting. Kartar Singh is the sole bread-winner of his small family which consists of his wife and two children."I get 9, 000 per month," says Kartar, "It is not enough for my family but it's good that I am doing something for my family."

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments to Delayer will be moderated. Please avoid using vulgar or obscene words in the comments. comments with links in the body will be accepted only if they are relevant to the context.